Personal Style and lifestyle by Amanda C.Watson

Sunday, January 1, 2012

My womanhood was stolen



Every now and then, I will be doing this type of posts… I will be addressing global issues. Mostly because I want to spread the word and try to inform others and hopefully others will get involved, and maybe together we can fight against these issues…  I ’ve been dying to this pretty much since I started studying International Relations…  I guess I never got the chance to do it… But today is the day. And I hope that I’m going to be able to keep it up in the future…In today’s posts I'm going to talk about female genital mutilation…  
I know it’s the first day of the New Year, and for the most of us this day is a day of joy and happiness… I respect that. But I also think we should think about all the people that are suffering right now. Pain and misery apparently does not care if it’s New Year or not.
What inspired me to do this was a movie that I saw yesterday called ” Desert Flower” I bet that many of you have either read the book or watched the movie… So I believe you guys already know, what the movie is about… For those who don’t, go and check it out…
Waris Derie the main character of the book “ Desert flower” was the first woman to internationally share her story of female genital mutilation…  And this is partially why this book is so special…I truly admire her... Her story touch my heart... So this is why Im doing this...
So what is female genital mutilation? Female Genital mutilation or (FGM) is a traditional procedure that pretty much intentionally alter or injure female genital organs for non-medical reasons. This cultural practice started in Africa approximately 2000 years ago. It’s mostly practiced in Africa but its also a common tradition in some Arabic countries.
This, so called tradition stands by the fact that, what we women have down there, is not clean and they believe that they are purifying the girls by removing the girl’s private parts. This act is in some cultures  a symbol of “womanhood”, but how can this cruel act represent womanhood, when its basically taking away “what makes us women” The people that stand by this tradition often glorify the ritual... ( I still don't get why??!)  Even though they know how much the procedure hurts they do it because it’s normal to them.
The biggest problem is, that the procedure is done under awful circumstances and in most cases the wound is stitched harshly and this later causes severe infections… The majority of women who survived this procedure will later have complications during intercourse and giving birth.
Female genital mutilation is recognized internationally as a violation of the human rights of girls and women. It reflects deep-rooted inequality between the sexes, and constitutes an extreme form of discrimination against women...
But around 6000 girls face the risk of genital mutilation every day and more than 100 million women worldwide have already undergone genital mutilation. I wonder how many have died?
When will they stop? I understand its hard to stop this, but its possible... I think we should do more…  I think that we need to educate and inform. I believe that education can kill poverty and ignorance …
I promise myself that this year Im going to get even more involved then I'm now… I may sound naive but… I want to change the world and make it a better place…And I believe its possible, not maybe right now... But in a near future... I hope...
“I feel that God made my body perfect the way I was born. Then man robbed me, took away my power, and left me a cripple. My womanhood was stolen. If God had wanted those body parts missing, why did he create them? I just pray that one day no woman will have to experience this pain. It will become a thing of the past. People will say "Did you hear, female genital mutilation has been outlawed in Somalia?" Then the next country, and the next, and so on, until the world is safe for all women. What a happy day that will be, and that's what I'm working toward. In'shallah, if God is willing, it will happen. “
Waris Derie
 http://www.desertflowerfoundation.org/en/
http://www.endfgm.eu/en/petition
SHARE:

24 comments

  1. Thanks for sharing this! I studied FGM for one of my classes (anthropology). Girls in France are often taken out of school and back to their country of origin for the procedure and the courts are only recently starting to prosecute it seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post, it's very socially conscious of you. I've heard a bit about FGM and I don't understand how such a disgusting thing could be considered okay.

    couturing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing. It's heartbreaking that this happens.

    -kim
    found the route

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, basically the best read I have read all day.



    Danyell Ramblings

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love a blog that talks about important global issues. It's vital to our society that we have a constant communication going about such things.

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a wonderful post...this is something everyone should know about!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this post was very touching and def pulled on my heart strings. I absolutely had no idea that something this degrading and hurtful was going on for so long.I def want to find out ways i can do something about this.

    imancoco.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for sharing this! I admire you for brining such an important topic on table. I hope this will end, such as many other awful things in this world and I really believe it's possible, step by step!

    xo
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish you all the best!!

    ★Happy New Year★


    new post: click here
    follow me

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've read Desert Flower few years ago and it's a great book. I was terrified with the fact that this problem is still reality in 21 century... Very conscious of you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. hola guapa. gracias por tu comentario. Yo no sabia que hablabas español! este post es maravilloso, porque yo tambien pienso que todos deberiamos hacer un esfuerzo mayor por comprender los problemas del mundo y hacer algo por cambiar las injusticias. La mutilación genital es un acto horrible que deberia ser eliminado de la sociedad. Comparto contigo el sentimiento de querer cambiar el mundo o al menos intentarlo, asi que apoyo esta causa. besos y espero que el 2012 traiga paz, amor y unidad en la tierra.

    ReplyDelete
  12. cool blog here! happy new year :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post, lady! Glad to see a blogger bringing awareness to real world issues. I hadn't heard of that movie/book before, but I'll definitely put it on my reading list now that I know about it. Thanks for committing yourself to raising awareness!

    ReplyDelete
  14. que post tan impresionante!!

    un besito y feliz año!
    http://myfashionmirror.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. desert flower is a very impressive movie,i saw it and it really touched me.
    i think it's awesome that you did this post and hopefully one day this cruelty will stop

    sammie
    from
    fashionbarbecue.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. love this photo and also your blog! It's so nice!!! I follow you!
    Pass to my blog and if it likes you follow me too, I will be so glad :D
    kisses
    http://francescagiusti.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for posting about this. I remember doing projects on FGM in school and being horrified at what I learned. GREAT post

    ReplyDelete
  18. The first time I heard of this I was so disgusted. How could someone do such a thing to a woman? I'm so glad you posted about this. Maybe there will be a bit more awareness about this issue.

    -Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  19. i think this is so cool of you. Thanks for your lovely comment :)
    Love Lois xxx

    http://lisforlois.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. this post was so very touching <3 i have never seen "desert flower" but i Will be watching it very soon.. in my opinion, and with NO disrespect to anyone or any culture, female genital mutilation is a form of child abuse considering it is intentional harm to a child not to mention emotionally damaging because of the psychological affects it may bring on to a developing young girl. thank you for posting this... i wish all the love to each and every strong girl who had to endure this horrible experience <3

    all my love,
    jamie

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi darling!!!
    beautiful post and lovely blog :)
    what about to follow each other? :)
    kisses

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a nightmare. I've never heard of that before, but my heart hurts for all the females that have had to go through that. I can only imagine how frightening and degrading that would be...just awful and disgusted that stuff like that happens in this world. Beautifully written post and I do agree that as humans we need to get involved in helping those that are broken and less fortunate.

    On a lighter note, hope you had a wonderful New Year's darling. Wishing you the very best!! xx Marisa

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey!! thanks for sharing this. that movie was crazy emotional. I love it. I cried during the interview at the end. I could not imagine the pain and saddens this brings.

    ReplyDelete

© Done n Done. All rights reserved.
Blogger Designs by pipdig